
My love for Marc Jacobs began five years ago with the purchase of a military inspired denim jacket (which continues to be a wardrobe staple of mine). This man has been such an inspiration to me, not only in the way I dress, but the way I think about how to dress. If that makes sense...whatever. His spring collection was absolutely no different. Andre Leon Talley completely took the words right out of my brain, if I had been wise enough to put them so eloquently by saying that they show was, "One of the most extraordinary moments in the career of Marc Jacobs." He goes on to describe the show in words I never could have chosen: "I'm very rarely left in a moment of such awe...of total abandonment of magic. The idea of a heel that looks like a diamond. The magic of the handbags-the fantasy of having bubblegum jewels-or real ones-whatever is your fantasy. Totally blown away brilliance." The show itself was a transportation to another world, one less complicated, where hats with huge flowers are endearing, not obnoxious. In typical Marc fashion, the show started an hour late, which left me wishing I had sacrificed fashion for comfort and not worn three inch heels. As we waited all crunched together on the bleachers, Jared Leto became restless. He decided the runway, (which was filled with little blue candy mints wrapped in plastic which glittered in the light resembling the shinniest pond ever in life), was going to be a fun game. He started throwing the mints into the crowd, one thing lead to another and the next thing I knew I was on the runway covered in mints! Just kidding, he threw one my way and ate it. End of story. When the show finally started, the audience was so still. It was like if anyone moved, it would all disappear. I'm not much for accessories, but when I saw the glittering mesh headbands I knew I was going to be headed to the craft store. I love them. A whole lot. After the show I caught a glimpse of Anna Wintour's glowing face as she rushed backstage, I'm sure to tell Marc of his brilliance.

The after party was held a few blocks down at the Grammercy Park Hotel. I found myself desperate to find a place to sit to rest my tired feet. Once I finally swerved past Sophia Coppola, Ashley Olsen, Dita Von Teese etc, I found a seat outside near the television that was playing the video of the show. As I watched the show, marveling at the little details I had missed from my backrow standing position, I heard excited high pitched screams next to me. A young Japanese man and woman stood next to me excitedly clapping and screaming as they watched each look come down the runway on the screen. I couldn't believe it. I thought they must be what I would look like if I weren't afraid to make a fool of myself in front of Gemma Ward. I was so thrilled to see that they were as excited as I was about the show. I smiled at them and the young man informed me that they were the pattern makers! They had poured hours and hours into each garment and were so thrilled to see the finish product. Rightly so. I quizzed them about the process they go through. They said the most frustrating part was that they would begin work two months prior to the show but by time they were nearly finished Marc had changed his mind. Ever the perfectionist. I loved talking to them and hearing their stories. Take a look at the detail shots of the show on style.com and tell me these clothes aren't worth every penny.
1 comment:
I have that military denim jacket too and I would never part with it! Thanks for this, so interesting to hear about the pattern cutters' experience...
Post a Comment